Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When did I become an adult?

It's funny how life changes as you get older. Suddenly you have responsibilities, suddenly you think like an adult and about adult things. This semester I've been traveling home at any chance I can. Partially to escape the business of the city, but mostly to spend time with my family. I remember years ago, complaining that I was bored of just hanging out with my parents or that I wanted to do something exciting (of course the only "exciting option" in suburbia for a teenager was to go shopping or to the movies). Now a days I find myself valuing everything my parents have done for me. I have great respect for all the sacrifices they have made in their lives and continue to make to make our lives better. Home is only a few hours away and while my next visit home is in the near future, I find that leaving home each time feels incredibly bittersweet. No amount of time that I spend at home seems sufficient. Part of me doesn't want to miss a second of memories with them. Part of me feels their every bit of excitement, anxiety, and other emotions. I guess this is happens when you're an adult and realize that it's not so bad that you're parents have become you're greatest friends and have always been your greatest support.  

No comments:

Post a Comment